For a while now, we have talked to Olivia about the possibility of donating her hair. We talked about how an organization would turn it into a wig to help someone who has lost their hair due to medicine they have to take to help them get better. She's familiar with the idea from witnessing her preschool teacher go through that process. We were careful not to push her as we wanted it to be something she wanted to do. I found photos on-line of shorter girl hair styles and asked Olivia to take a look. She made a face and said she wouldn't want hair that short. Then she asked how short her hair would have to be to donate it. When I mentioned it would be about as short as the photos I was showing her, she immediately said, "Okay!" What a sweetheart, that one!
We intended to donate it to Locks of Love (as that was the only one I was familiar with), but the lady that cut our hair mentioned Pantene. They do the same thing, but accept 8 inch donations, which proved to be a nice length to donate so Olivia's hair could still get back into a ponytail.
I'm so proud of my selfless girl. Her hair is darling and she has gotten the sweetest attention for her new hair, and her loving act of kindness. (And mama is in love with how easy it is to wash and comb her hair! Although... I will miss giving her a "Princess Bun", but that will be able to happen again in time.)

No comments:
Post a Comment