Friday, August 24, 2012

Gymnastics

The final activity we had Olivia enrolled in for the summer was gymnastics.  It happened to start right after the Olympics finished.  It scared Olivia a bit because as she declared “I can’t do all those things!”  When we clarified what it would be like, she was much more excited. 
The group spent the first part of their session warming up with stretches.  (Some of which Olivia would demonstrate to me at home.)  They would then circle around several stations doing things like a balance beam (right off the ground), somersaults, rolling, and swinging on a rope.  They would then move to other stations around the gym including the bouncy floor (which is the technical name, I’m sure), and a taller balance beam.  Olivia was hesitant in doing this the first two times.  On her final day I encouraged her to at least give it a try with taking two steps.  With help from her teacher she did walk the whole way across. 
Again, it was a good experience for her.  I could see her doing it more in the future.
Only a few pictures, as we mostly watched through the glass window.  (Hence the poorer quality.)


No comments: