Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tubes

Found in the bottom of Olivia's backpack:
Dear Henry, I hope your ears feel better. Love Olivia I love you
Henry got tubes put in his ears today. This is something we have been anticipating would happen for the last two winters. Henry has gotten ear infections often, which doesn't help his asthma troubles he has too. Each doctor visit the doc would say, "Well, let's wait to see if Henry has one more ear infection..." We like our doctor a lot, but would hear that same response often. Finally, they recommended us to see an ENT. A quick visit with the doctor there confirmed tubes would be a good way to go.
Children's Hospital got us in a few weeks later. We were at Children's with Olivia a few years back for a simple procedure and had an amazing experience. This was the same! From the moment the nurse walked us back to our room and swung by the "Toy Closet" for Henry to pick out some toys to play with in the room, every moment and interaction was incredibly kid friendly. They are pros and have thought of every little detail to make it easier on the kids.

Between a few paperwork items, and visits from various staff members, Henry kept busy playing with the toys, and watching a little TV. One staff member had Henry "color" the inside of the mask they would use to give him anesthesia with a scented chap stick. He chose to use four kinds... all except pink. (When Olivia was there, she only chose pink.)

 
Then it was time for the surgery. I gowned up so I could go in the room with him. He felt so tiny wheeling away on a big bed through big halls, with his little Care Bear with him. I wasn't prepared at all to get emotional at the point of putting him to sleep. We put the mask on him, and gently talked to him about being brave and such a good boy, and silly things like Tucker. His eyes closed and the doctor gently laid him on his back. *Trigger the tears. I knew he was okay, and safe, but just seeing that moment happen was difficult.

Nursing staff guided me back to the room, assuring me he would be okay. I read no more than one page in my book when the doctor came in and said everything was finished and A-Okay.

He was out like a light when they wheeled him back in. I loved watching him as he lay there. He was out for quite a while, so the nurse said we could start to rouse him. I tried talking to him and rubbing his back, which gave me a little stirring. I tickled under his chin and got a smile. Once he woke, he was perky and completely normal.

 

 He was treated to TWO popsicles and juice boxes. He was a happy boy!

Staff brought us a wagon to bring him to the car. This hospital literally thinks of everything to make the experience special!
When home, the kids had fun playing doctor with all of the cool medical supplies the staff sent Henry home with!
All seems well with Henry at this point. Although we are at the end of the ear infection season, so we may have to wait till fall to see how he does. We are hopeful ear infections will be fewer now, and therefore have less asthma troubles. We look forward to putting less medication in his body, and are so thankful that at this point, a trip to the hospital was for something so routine.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh goodness, I got all teary too thinking of what it'd be like watching them put him to sleep. But it sure sounds like he was in excellent hands, and I'm glad he's recovering well!