Sunday, November 13, 2011

OCC

Operation Christmas Child has become a tradition in our family.  From the time before we became a family, I have been involved in the program.  Back in high school my parents taught our Youth Alive (religion) class.  They found out about the organization and got our group involved.  The organization seeks out donations of shoe boxes, filled with gifts, that will be sent to children in poor countries all around the world.  These children are from such poor communities, that they have never been blessed with a Christmas gift before.  You can learn more about the program here.  One year Pat and I volunteered at a collection site for the shoe boxes, and helped with inspecting what the boxes were filled with and packing them into crates to be delivered all around the world. 

Each year, we put together two boxes. Additionally, I have gotten my classroom involved by inviting anyone who is interested to put together boxes also.   I love everything about this tradition!  I love hunting for bargains all year long, throwing my finds into a box in the closet along the way.  Target clearance (especially of their dollar section from the occasional 75% off), and back to school deals (like Office Max's penny deals) are my favorite places to collect items.  I love organizing, so packing the boxes in a way to maximize all I can fit into them is so fun for me.  I love teaching Olivia about the importance of giving to those in need.  She enjoyed picking out pink and princess things for the boxes this year.  Best of all, I love picturing the kids opening the boxes, and the joy it will bring to them!

Here is what we were able to fill our boxes with this year:
For a girl ages 2-4.  This is the youngest age group, and we thought Olivia would have fun picking out things for it.
 Contents:
  • Toothbrushes
  • Toothpaste
  • Bars of soap
  • Colored pencils
  • Pens
  • Crayons
  • Coloring book
  • Jump rope
  • Deck of playing cards
  • Tic-tac-toe game
  • Slinky
  • Tennis balls
  • Baby doll
  • Princess headband and bracelet
  • Hello Kitty brush and mirror
  • Littlest Petshop toys
  • Toy Story notebook
  • Socks
  • Bag of hard candy (Suckers, mints, jolly ranchers, etc.)
For a girl, ages 10-14.  This age group is harder to shop for, so they are always needing more donations for it.
Contents: 
  • Toothbrushes
  • Toothpaste
  • Bars of soap
  • Colored pencils
  • Pens
  • Crayons
  • A re-useable bag (Which condenses nicely for the box, and I'm sure would be helpful for whoever gets it.)
  • Jump rope
  • Deck of playing cards
  • Candy necklace kit
  • Tic-tac-toe game
  • Purse
  • Fashion design kits
  • Slinky
  • Tennis balls
  • Bag of hard candy (Suckers, mints, jolly ranchers, etc.)
Okay, so I'm a good packer, but I'm not THIS good!  We had too much stuff to fit in the plastic Rubbermaid containers.  So, the extras lay waiting if any boxes from my students have some extra room in them.  I like to send all boxes on their way with all of the essentials, and filled to the brim, so it's nice having extra stuff to fill them with if needed.

Ralph's story:


There are so many wonderful organizations to be part of that help people at this time of year.  I'm just so happy we are able to support this one, and I get excited about the joy it will bring to a child somewhere around the world!

No comments: