Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Day Crafting

A crafting day doesn't usually come on a weekday in the school year.  There was an exception today for a few reasons.  1)  Olivia was needing help with thinking of something fun she wanted to do.  2)  Mother's Day is right around the corner and we always make homemade cards for the Grandmas.  3) Henry fell asleep on the way home so we had a perfect quiet time to get the project started.
It's tradition for me to help the kids create a card using hand and/or foot prints for Mother's Day.  Usually we turn them into flowers.  While at Manic Ceramic recently I saw a plate with foot prints turned into a butterfly, so I thought that would be fun to try.
Painting feet was fun!  For Olivia anyway.  When Henry woke up and it was his turn he wasn't a huge fan.  After getting his prints and washing feet, he kept himself busy playing under the table. 
Olivia has enjoyed working on her writing lately.  I wrote "Happy Mother's Day!" on one, and she insisted on doing it on the other by copying the letters. 


You can tell which one I took the lead on, and which Olivia took over.  Up to this point in our crafting cards I usually feel like I'm the one that does most of the work, with her little bits of help here and there, but she took full control on this one.  I love how she added flower hand prints, and a caterpillar made out of finger prints.  So in those ways, it's perfect!  I know the Grandmas will just love them!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I love the idea! Olivia's doing a great job writing!

Little for a Little While said...

Such fun! I love all the creativeness! I hope I can find some time to make our mothers day gifts, right now its not looking too promising!