This weekend was full of celebrations for us! On Saturday I turned 31, and on Sunday of course was Father's Day. Normally my birthday isn't a big deal. I just don't like a lot of attention, or making a big fuss about myself. But this year, family and friends decided on their own to do something different. Since they took me by surprise and I wasn't prepared with my camera, I don't have any pictures of the celebration. So instead I thought I'd recap the weekend, blending Father's Day and birthday celebrations together...
Friday night we gathered at Tom and Kari's place for celebrating my birthday and Father's Day. We were asked to bring vodka and lemonade. Done. We grilled, swam, visited, opened gifts, ate cake and Cold Stone ice cream (SO yum!), and just enjoyed a beautiful summer evening at the lake.
 |
| Sam turning the squirt gun on himself after pointing it at me. I was thankful! |
 |
| Olivia LOVED playing water games with her cousins! |
 |
| So, my FIL doesn't normally have that expression, or carry around a wallet on fire. When Tom, Kari and the kids were in Florida and at a magic shop there, they saw this wallet that lights on fire when you open it. They knew Mike would love it, and he sure did. He was doing an impression of someone here, but I had no idea who he was talking about! :) |
Saturday morning began with sleeping in till 8:15! Yowza! Those kids of ours were worn out from cousin time the night before! Pat made us french toast which I garnished with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar to fancy them up.
I headed to my friend Kelly's place for crafting day with her and Panhia. I finished up a painting smock for Olivia and mended a dress of hers. Then we headed out for Chinese food for lunch which the girls treated me to. Back to crafting and I whipped up a cute bag for Olivia to use for library books. Just as I was about to pack up I saw Pat and the kids walk by through the window! Since I was about an hour from home I thought it was strange that they would just drop by. Little did I know that Kelly and Pat had arranged for a little surprise party for me! Other guests arrived, we grilled, had cupcakes and ice cream, and just hung out while the kids played. It was a great time, and I'm just so thankful for thoughtful family and friends!
Sunday morning we went to an early mass so we could head out right after for a hike at Nierstrand State Park. The weather was perfect, and the kids were troopers. The nature and falls were a perfect setting to celebrate Father's Day. We picnicked out there, and played on the swings a bit. I was happy to get in the car just as the first of several raindrops came down!
 |
| Henry and Daddy playing Peek-a-Boo with us! |
 |
| Not sure why everyone looks less than thrilled in this picture. They really did have fun! :) |
 |
| Henry tasted his first fist-full of sand. Ew. |
 |
| Henry fell asleep shortly after putting the backpack on me for the second half of our hike. |
After a few hours of heavy rain (Which was perfect timing for our kids to get naps in), we went to the pool. We celebrated Father's Day along with birthdays (mine, my brother Brent's and Brooke's). My parents had been heating the pool, so while the air was cooler after the rain, the water felt great. We made our usual pizzas there and enjoyed each other's company. It's always nice when my whole family is able to get together.
 |
| Cool dude. My family thinks it looks like he works for the CIA in those shades. |
It was one of those perfect weekends where your heart just feels so full. I loved every minute of it and am so thankful for my family and friends.
1 comment:
I love all these photos! Happy you had such a fun birthday, and I'd love to see all these craft projects you've made!
Post a Comment