Saturday, June 30, 2012

VBS

This past week, Olivia participated in our church's Vacation Bible School.  It turned out to be a wonderful experience!  Olivia looked forward to the start, and coming back each day.  I was a little nervous about it since it was 3 1/2 hours long, which is an hour longer than preschool.  Also, it was all 5 days of the week.  She ended up napping more than usual, but still had excited energy for her last day. I was happy to see my aunt there the first day, along with a few other people we know, so I knew there would be people keeping an eye on her. 
Olivia's group.  She is at the far left.

Each day Henry and I would drop her off at the church.  We'd go on our way to run a few errands (which was nice having one less body to load and unload), and home for Henry's morning nap.  I enjoyed a little quiet time and getting some cleaning and projects done around the house.  We eagerly got back to church to pick her up by noon.  I liked coming a little early to listen to the kids sing their closing songs. 

These songs were then performed at their program Thursday night.  There was a hot dog dinner available for purchase from a group of students fundraising for a mission trip.  We picnicked on the church grounds with our friends, the Chadwicks.  Mitchell and Olivia were in the same group together.  The performance was cute.  Since they gave the kids a CD of the songs ahead of time, Olivia had been practicing the words and actions.  It was harder to watch her perform with her group with a squirmy Henry in my arms, and poorer quality video on my phone.
Olivia is in the yellow shirt group, front row, 4th from the right.  Back home Olivia gave me my own private show.  She'd play her CD and sang and danced while I recorded it.  Then we'd watch the recording together.  Repeat.  Repeat.  :)  Olivia singing songs about God loving us?  Precious.

We traveled to parks for picnics and playing most days after VBS.  On Friday, her last day, we had a special McDonald's ice cream treat as a reward for her doing such a good job all week.  I got feedback from a few volunteers about what a nice job Olivia did with listening so well.  Between that and listening to Olivia talk about all that she learned at VBS, I am one proud mama!
Ha!  The best picture I could get of these two.  The VBS props (Nature camp theme) were just too interesting for Henry to keep his hands off.
I'm so thankful for this opportunity, and for the many volunteers who helped it run so smoothly.  I'm already looking forward to next year.

1 comment:

The Guse Family said...

What a nice thing for your Church to offer for kids Olivia's age. I wish our Church did something like that. The song is precious!