The eve before school starts. These days always have me - feeling meh. (To use the new Facebook lingo.) While I do love my job, it's always hard for me to pull away from the joy summer brings. Who wouldn't want to NOT go to work? Well, I'm sure there are some people, but if given the choice I would love to stay home with my kids. Mostly because I could spend more time with them, and not feel like I miss out on so much over the school year. But also because it means no working on correcting in the evening, worrying about what to wear the next day, the hustle of the mornings, and rushed evenings to get everything done with still feeling like I can give quality time to the kids. So, yes, I'm feeling meh tonight. Throw on top of that the fact that Olivia starts Kindergarten on Wednesday and I'm a mess of emotions.
Thinking back to the summer I have often thought of it as the Happy/Sad Summer. While there were numerous highlights of fun activities and time with family, there were some sad moments too, which has left me feeling more meh.
Shortly after school let out I was notified by Olivia's preschool teacher who has been battling cancer, that it is now at the terminal point. I can't imagine. She has been in my thoughts and prayers all summer long. One of those situations where I just wish there was more I could do for her.
About mid summer a co-worker of mine passed away. It brought our whole parish/school staff down to our knees. Shocked and sad, we have gathered a few times over these weeks to mourn our loss and try to support each other.
This summer we have also awaited when my Grandma would pass. We thought she was in her final moments/days back in spring, and it has carried on as such since. There have been a few more times since (my birthday and 4th of July) where we again thought she was going to pass, and yet she hangs on. She is so ready, and now we are too, so we wait.
Among these difficult times we certainly experienced an ultimate high with the wedding of my brother Ryan and sister-in-law Brooke. The day was so amazing, in addition to all of the festivities that led up to it. Most weekends this summer were filled with something wedding related, and it was all wonderful.
So with all that said, we spent our final summer weekend up at the cabin with whatever family could make it. The only time any of us were up there since opening it up this late spring. I didn't have my camera (which made both of my parents' jaws drop when I told them I was without it) due to my brother having both of my storage cards with wedding footage on them. So, I made an effort to grab a few pics with my phone.
 |
| My mom surprised us with these retro car bingo cards. We used to use them all the time on road trips when I as a kids, so it was a fun memory to introduce to my kids. |
 |
| Everyone was so excited about Olivia's big fish she caught on the boat! |
 |
| This cracks me up because it looks like a mug shot. They really were enjoying their s'mores... just not a fan of my phone's flash. :) |
 |
| Not bird watching... This guy boat watches. |
 |
| These two are attached at the hip when together! |
 |
| Captain Henry! |
 |
| Brooke just loves this little guy, and thinks he's SO cute. I can't blame her. :) |
 |
| We polished off the leftover wedding cupcakes. And we laughed so hard it hurt when the kids had their post dinner sugar rush. Olivia made a comment about wanting kids, but wanting to pay for someone to sell her one. |
 |
| Good thing Henry didn't mind his back seat riding companion. |
A nice weekend for sure. Just wish we could have them more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment