Friday, September 13, 2013

Kindergarten!

Our baby girl is growing up way too fast! It certainly doesn't feel like we brought her home from the hospital yesterday, but it also doesn't seem real that she's old enough for Kindergarten. But she is, and her first few weeks have been a smashing success!
There was a little common nervous excitement as the big day got closer, but all in all, she was ready! The first day began with a healthy breakfast, and a donut treat for the drive to school. We were able to take the time for a few pictures, I helped her with her locker, and getting her settled at her spot. She gave a sweet good-bye hug and I was on my way, leaving my brave and confident girl to face the rest of the day on her own.

There was comfort for me knowing that there were staff members around the school keeping an eye out for her too. I got updates through the day telling me it looked like she was doing well. Her teacher Mrs. Smith told me at the end of the day that she wished she had 25 Olivias in her class!

One of my favorite stories from the day came from a co-worker that helps in the lunchroom. I had written on Olivia's banana in her lunch "I LOVE U". She was sad when she was asked to throw the banana peal away. My other highlight was when she mentioned Jennifer. She made a new friend the first day, and has talked about her many times since. Sounds like they both love to pretend princesses, so it's no wonder why they get along so well.

Other snapshots from her first few weeks...

I have fun packing her lunches, and she has fun seeing the goodies and notes I pack for her.
She does a great job spending time in the classroom after school while I work. She asked to draw on the board, and turned out to get quite involved in it. The kids enjoyed seeing it in the morning.
She will also hop on a student computer and play games or watch videos, while snacking, and making art.
 Our annual school photo in my Grandfather's one room school house desk.
My favorite part of our school days are when we cuddle up on my desk chair and she tells me about her day, or we work on her homework. She is such a chatterbox about the lessons, teachers, and friends. I'm excited for the stories that will come of this year, the learning that will happen, and the relationships she will make. It will be a good year.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Gosh, she's so cute. I just adore seeing her in the school uniform, very similar to what we used to wear. It must be so nice to have her at the same school as you - perk for mommy!