Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving

Each year we have so much to be thankful for. While we certainly do this year, Thanksgiving was still a bit more sad. Pat's mom had struggled with back pain for the last 7 weeks. It got to a point where it was just too painful, so she had an MRI done which showed an infection in her spine, that also got into her blood. She was treated for this and was released from the hospital when it was cleared from her blood. She was out for only about a week when the pain got incredibly bad again. Another MRI showed that the infection ate away at a few of her vertebra. She would have to surgically have four of the vertebra fused together, while still treating the infection. She learned of this Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. I spent that day at the hospital with her.

Thanksgiving was spent with us taking the kids to the hospital to visit her in the morning, then we went to Tom and Kari's for a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. Then their family headed to visit her in the afternoon and bring her dinner.

Friday was the Thanksgiving celebration with the Sticha side. While I was there with the kids, it was also the day of Mary's surgery. Pat spent the entire day there with her. The surgery went well, but it was a long day for everyone. They struggled finding a good balance of meds to keep her comfortable, and it was a difficult night and next day.

Pat and I spent Saturday with her at the hospital. We spent a little time together as a family Sunday, then went to the hospital again in the evening so she could see the kids.

It certainly wasn't the relaxing Thanksgiving break I was hoping for, but at the same time, I'm also glad it landed when it did so we could be there for her more. I'm also thankful it is something that was able to be treated. She came home Tuesday, and is recovering well at home now.

With all of that activity, the only Thanksgiving photo I have is one taken at school. (Huge perk of teaching in the same building where Olivia goes to school is sneaking away to witness school events like this.) The kindergarten and 1st grades get together for a Thanksgiving fest in the hall. The classes recite songs/poems, and share in a simple snack of popcorn/bugles/raisins/candy corn and juice. Here she is with her best buddy Jennifer:

1 comment:

The Guse Family said...

Oh, you have been through so much in the last year. I am happy to hear things are looking brighter for Pat's mom now.