Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Growing up

It's official.  Olivia's a preschooler!  I know every parent says this when their child meets some new milestone, but I seriously can't believe she is old enough for this!  I've waited a few weeks to post, mostly because I have NO time anymore.  The advantage of a delayed post is now I have more to share about how it's going.  The verdict is in:  She loves it!  I knew she would!

The morning of her first day I snagged a few quick pictures of her sitting in an old school desk.  It was the same student desk that was in the one room school house my grandpa went to school in.  My goal is to take the kids' pictures in it at the start of each school year.  I really wanted to take the pictures outside, but we leave so early, the sun wasn't up yet!  :)


Our daycare brings her to school each morning, but I was able to meet her the first day to walk her to class.  She was elated, and could barley contain her excitement!  We waited outside the classroom doors for the teachers to open them at 12:00.  It was adorable the way she meekly walked into the classroom, looking down because she was shy, but peeking glances up to look at her teacher and the room.  Curiosity was just killing her from her shyness.  She never looked back.  My heart swelled to see my girl so grown up!  And I was proud of myself too for not tearing up!

Returning to pick her up that first day, the teacher was beaming.  She said it was a great first day... no tears and no accidents from the whole crew!  She and the teacher assistant looked at each other at one point and exchanged the thought:  Best. First. Day. Ever.

My girl's coming out of her shell... learning new things... spreading her wings.


 At the same time, our little caterpillar went through a transformation of her own.  She grew big and fat, formed a chrysalis, and about ten days later... emerged.  I was so happy we were around for it!  That morning I knew it would happen soon because the chrysalis turned dark, and you could see the wing patterns through.  We went to a parade that day, and when we came home, there she was!  We let her hang out in the jar for a few hours to let her wings dry.  Then Olivia and I brought her out to the flowers.  She was slow to transfer to the flower, but she did so beautifully! 

The similarities in these situations is so beautiful to me.  Watching the transformation happen, almost like magic... both going through such huge changes, probably scary at times, but handling it with such grace and beauty.  In the end, spreading wings to fly...

As the days go by I get glimpses into my girl's days...
  • Playing outside is her favorite thing.  She gets pushed on the swings by her teachers, and loves it!
  • Her friend she hangs out with the most right now is Sydny.
  • She has observed other girls have pierced ears, and likes it, but has yet to ask for it herself.  (Thankfully!)  (Because the answer would be no!)
  • She has also noticed light-up shoes, which she has asked for, and was given the reply of: "Maybe some day."  Which is good enough for her right now.
  • My favorite part of the day is when I pick her up.  Teachers call student names when it is their turn to leave the carpet to meet their mom or dad.  When it's Olivia's turn, she "walks" with as much bounce in her step as possible.  (The rule is you have to walk to the door.)  I LOVE hearing her say "Mommy" with such excitement, and the huge hug she gives.  Warms my heart!
  • Since daycare drops her off, Henry tags along.  I've had teachers see him in the hall and tell me later that he is the most smiley and cute baby ever!  Of course I agree!  :)
  • There's so much more, but I have to stop somewhere!  I can't wait to see and hear about all of her other adventures at school, as my little babe is growing up!




No comments: