Sunday, October 16, 2011

Triple Celebration

Happy 200th blog post to me!  I've felt very neglectful to the blogging world lately.  Blame it on jumping from one full time job to two!  With a milestone blog like 200 I feel like trumpets should sound and balloons and confetti should fall from the ceiling...  Well, okay, maybe not.  Still, it worked itself out nice that this does happen to be a pretty momentous blog post.  My cousin Kristen and her husband Aamir had a double wedding celebration in the DC area, and we were blessed to be able to attend!  This also makes my first time away from both kids for an extended amount of time.  I've only been away from Olivia for one night at a time, so it was clearly about time! 

I took over 500 pictures between the wedding celebrations and sight seeing, so it was hard to pick just a few to share.  Okay okay, so I'm sharing more than just a few.  I can't help it.  The strange thing about it though, not ONE is of my kids! 

Celebration #1: Pakistan/Muslim celebrations:  Nikkah and Mehndi:

Prior to the events beginning, Henna was applied to all women interested.  It's a very interesting process which consists of these women applying a dark paste in intricate designs to the hands.  It's amazing how fast they are able to apply it!  It dries for about an hour, and is rubbed off, leaving a "temporary tattoo" design.  It gets darker as your internal body heat warms it.  It normally stays on the skin for two weeks.


The Bride, her family, and future husband.
Jon, Lisa, Aamir, Kristen, Judy and Pete.




I was honored to be asked to be part of the procession at the start of the Mehndi celebration.  The bride's family carried in candles, as she walked in with a cloth carried above her.  I actually got a bit emotional at that part.  I was over the moon excited for my cousin of course, but also I just felt so proud to be part of such a cultural experience.  It was an amazing opportunity to learn about something so different than what I have experienced before.

Pardon my evil eyes... I forgot to do red eye reduction, and now that it's uploaded, I'm too lazy to fix it!
Another highlight was the performance portion of the evening.  Family and friends performed entertainment for the bride and groom.  The music and dancing was so fun!  I want to find some Pakistani music to listen to now!  I just loved everything about their culture... the food was amazing, the dresses were beautiful, the music was so energizing, and man do I wish I could dance like that!  I loved soaking it all in, and at least pretending I was from Pakistan! 




These kids are SO adorable!


Henna hands.  Mine is the bottom left one.


These cuties were obsessed with my camera, which was a-okay by me!  It satisfied my mommy urges for a little while!


My cousins and I, sometimes mistaken for each other, and sometimes even triplets!


A fun tradition where the bride's family takes the groom's shoes.  Then the groom's family bargains to get them back.  The bride's family walked away with $150!  Drinks at McGinty's followed the next evening!  Thanks Aamir's family!


Ahhh... No kids meant no nursing, and my first chance to drink in SEVERAL months. 
Side note:  Pumping and dumping totally stinks!

Although I wasn't with them, I carried my kids with me.
  Celebration #2: Traditional American wedding.  Set at Mrs. K's Tollhouse Restaurant, it was a picture perfect outdoor wedding fit with beautiful sunny weather!



 








 Celebration #3: Taking in the sights

As we walked through Union Station, Pat was thrilled to stumble on this store.  He read about it in his adventures of learning how to shave with a straight razor. 


The beautiful Union Station.


The Washington Monument.  I was sad it wasn't open due to structural damage from the earthquake there this summer.  The reflection pond was also all tore up for remodeling.  :(


Lincoln Memorial


Vietnam Veteran's Memorial  We found a few names of men that were killed in the line of duty that Pat's dad knew from his time there.


We enjoyed many cultures' foods, including Asian.  Nothing beats take-out in the hotel room bed after a long day of sight-seeing!


Smithsonian, Air and Space Museum.  This is the Wright Bothers' aircraft.



I know.  I'm a dork.  I knew I wanted to take one of these pictures while there.




It was very interesting to learn new details about Lincoln's assassination at Ford's Theater.




I took pictures of almost everything we ate.  Not sure why I was obsessed with that, but probably because I was proud that I was trying so many new things.  This is Fro Yo... Frozen Yogurt.  This place has the best idea, and I'm hopeful it will catch on in MN.

Whew.  What a trip!  I am so thankful for the entire experience.  A chance to celebrate with my cousin, see some sights, connect with Pat, and enjoy some relaxing time free from parenting responsibilities.  The kids were with my parents, and did great.  Olivia was already asking when she can have another sleep-over at their place.  As for my parents, well they were early to bed and late to rise the next day!  :)

3 comments:

Little for a Little While said...

Great pics! And you are not a dork, we've taken pictures like that before! Unless that makes me a dork too! Glad you had a fun trip and time away from the kiddos!

Kristen said...

I loved this post Tiff! I am so glad you and Pat were there to help us celebrate!

Farmgirl Paints said...

found you on my feedjit thing. loved looking through all your pics. amazing celebrations...wow. love the henna on the palms. i still haven't been to DC yet...shame on me. gotta try out that yogurt:)