Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Farm Fresh Eggs

Some of my greatest memories as a kid are those from being raised on a farm. I loved checking on the animals, helping with small chores, and best of all, looking for new baby kittens between the hay bales in the hay loft. My parents have long ago stopped farming, but more recently have been taking on a few animals by means of a hobby, and producing farm fresh food for the family to enjoy. One of my favorites are the egg laying chickens. Another fond memory of mine is looking for eggs to pick from the chicken coop. I'm so excited to be able to expose Olivia to the lessons of the farm. It's neat to teach and show her where some of our food comes from.

She's still a bit skiddish about going into the spot of the barn where the chickens are in. (They used to have a ruster that would make quite a racket that would scare her.) Still, I enjoy stopping in there and picking the eggs for my parents every now and then. A huge bonus is now we always have a fridge stocked with fresh eggs. I love how they look: various sizes and colors, ranging from common browns to shades of blue. Recently this tiny egg was found. Curious to crack it open, we discovered just the white of the egg to be present.

My parents also are raising chickens for butchering, as they have the past few years. I'm not quite ready to expose Olivia to how that kind of food makes it on our plates... Memories from that are also clear in my head, and I don't think I care for Olivia to have pictures of chickens with their heads cut off! (Dooms day for those feathered friends is tomorrow. Kind of glad I have two kids to care for now, so sadly I don't think I'll be able to help out this year!

No comments: