Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter!  I've been looking forward to this day for quite a while!  (Well, ever since Ash Wednesday actually!)  I love having time to spend as a family, chances to carry on traditions, pig out on candy, and of course celebrate Christ's Resurrection.

We began the day with looking for the Easter baskets the bunny hid.  Olivia helped find Henry's which was right in his toys.  Henry didn't waste much time in gobbling up the puffs the bunny brought. 


Olivia needed encouragement to really look hard for her basket.  I think she expected it to just jump out at her.  She found it in the dishwasher!  That silly bunny!  That's the same place the bunny hid mama's basket when she was that age.

Then we got dressed in our Sunday best and headed to church.  I was so excited the whole choir was there and the music was beautiful!  We've been talking with Olivia about what Easter means.  While the bunny visit is part of that, we want the kids to keep in mind the real meaning of Easter.  It's a bit more tricky to teach than Christmas.  Christmas is easy; Jesus' birthday!  Easter is tricky.  How do you teach a four year old that Jesus died, and rose from the dead, so that we may someday have eternal life?  I'm thankful for Sunday school with helping with that, and I know each year they'll have a better understanding.

After church we had an amazing breakfast at Tom and Kari's house.  The kids all loved playing together. 


Henry and cousin Sophia.


Grandpa was weaving quite the story as the three oldest grandchildren listened so intently.  It was so sweet to listen to.
Grandma and Grandpa Clark were generous as always with Easter baskets for the kids.  Olivia's favorite parts were this zebra dress (which she insisted on wearing right away), and balloons to make balloon animals.
Our next stop was my Aunt and Uncle's house where my mom's side of the family had gathered for lunch.  We missed out on the meal, but got a little family time as Olivia played with my cousin's kids, and Henry entertained everyone.  My Aunt was sweet enough to put together an Easter egg hunt for the kids too.
Finally we went to my parents' house for some Casey's pizzas.  Nice and low-key, visiting and playing.  Phew.  Busy and fun day!  Mabel found Olivia's Easter basket in the evening as I was cleaning up from the day.
My one regret from the day is that we didn't get a nice family picture.  This happens every holiday.  Everyone was looking good, but with such a busy day, we just didn't have a chance to take the time to do it.  Hopefully next time?!

No comments: