Friday, April 13, 2012

Our Spring Break

Well I think it's safe to say that this year's spring break wasn't anything how I hoped it would be.  Those planned breaks from work are what motivates me sometimes, and I had grand plans of all the fun we would do as a family.  Unfortunately most of those plans didn't happen, because the kids got sick.  Bad.  I was bummed, and kept hoping that with each day that passed, they'd wake up all better the next morning.  That didn't really happen until our final few days together. 
One of my favorite bloggers, Kelle Hampton, always focuses on the positive.  So I decided that while things didn't go as I planned, we still did have a sweet and fun time, just in a different way.  So here's our break, finding all of the good things in it possible:

Snuggles:
Snuggles like this only happen now when Henry is sick. 
Organizing. 

Movie day.  Which turned into movie days.  Which meant trips to the library, Redbox, and Grandma and Papa's house for more selections of movies.

Princess cup with OJ.

Popsicles.

Henry's adorable smile when he sees his medicine coming.

Pharmacists who know us by name and ask how Henry's doing.

A crafting day for me with some girl friends.  Since uninterrupted time to craft doesn't come around too often I whipped up my long list of items pretty quickly.  Two shirts for Henry, two bibs for friends with babies on the way, and hair accessories for Olivia and myself.

Nature walks around our house:

Strawberries blooming:


Finding animal tracks on our driveway:

Olivia's last Sunday School class.

Palm Sunday mass with Henry grabbing the palms, and me working hard to make sure he didn't hit people around us with it.

Henry's first dentist check-up:

Spending so much time at home we had to get creative with our fun.  Olivia loved playing with a simple item:  Plastic eggs.  Olivia gave her dolls a "bath" in them, and searched for them around the house after I hid them.  They weren't even filled; she just loved the hunt.


Reading:
Image Detail
I finished this.  By request of my students.  Cute 5th grade book.
Image Detail
I started this.  Also by request of my students.  So far, I love it!
Fresh haircut for me.

Finally.  Kids were feeling good.  (Or so we thought.)  We ventured to do at least one of the things on my list:  Manic Ceramic!  First we stopped at Culver's for lunch:
One of the photos taken by my new phone.  It was fun to have a little time to play with this feature.

Ha.  That reminds me.  I didn't pick up their finished work this week!  I'll have to remember to do that Monday!  Olivia chose a ballerina jewelry box, and Henry had a hand in decorating a vase.  I'm thinking we need flowers to put in it for a decoration at his birthday party!

Feeling cool foreheads in the middle of the night.

Trips to the park:

Black and white:  (And, Henry's MN Gopher's sweatshirt that was his uncles' shirt growing up!)

Cleaning the house.

Getting caught up on correcting.


My family's business, which has been a dream in the making for many years.  I am so proud of them, and happy for them.  Spring break was spent taking trips out to the Coborn's parking lot where their set-up is, taking pictures of the progress and giving encouragement to the crew.  I had a hand in setting up the Facebook page to get it up and running to help spread the word about the business.  Since then, they've officially opened, and we've made our first of many purchases of plants!

Of course our spring break ended with Easter.  Which was a very nice time with family, and HEALTHY kids.

Our final day we enjoyed a low-key play date with friends.  Abby was a trooper for being understanding as we had to re-schedule the play date three times until the kids were feeling better.  Olivia and Abby played so well together while the mamas got a chance to chat.

Not the break we had in mind, but nice family time none-the-less.  We have plenty of other fun to look forward to coming up soon!

1 comment:

The Guse Family said...

Sounds like a very special break. I am glad you are all better. This winter has been worse than most for us, too! Did you like Manic Ceramic? I love the vase you chose. What a great idea!